Sunday 28 April 2013

See Mona Lisa at the Louvre

I chose this because it seemed like the most challenging thing to do in Paris with the rumored two hour lineup just to get in, the astronomical size of the Louvre and my crowd impatience.

Adding to the pressure was a swollen knee for a week leading up to my visit that I couldn't stand on for long, couldn't bend and had trouble just walking let alone dealing with stairs!

All that taken into account from when I got to the entrance to being front row at this renown painting took all of twenty minutes! I even got to push my way through the crowd from left to right just to make sure her eyes followed me. Yes, they did.

The real challenge turned out to be the Eiffel Tower. I did not make it to any level of the tower, on both occasions I visited the lineups were at least three hours.

But! On the first evening I was there I was treated to an incredible sight when just after sunset and just before the lights came on, a huge yellow full moon rose behind the Tower, an incredible sight I will not forget and unfortunately is not conveyed in the photos.

Of course a visit to Paris would not be complete without paying my respects to Oscar Wilde and Jim Morrison at the Pere Lachaise Cemetry.