Saturday 6 April 2013

Venice

"Ahhhhh, Venice" - Indiana Jones.

It wasn't on the original LIFE LIST but I went out of my way to make sure I saw it while in Italy and what a Wow factor.
I thought all the architecture was in Rome but I was wrong.

There was a drizzle most of the first day. I walked for hours to get lost in the maze of alleyways and canals while the locals started setting up the elevated walking platforms as the water began to breach in some parts.

The second day the weather cleared and I spent another day just wandering and discovering all kinds of weird and wonderful squares, deadends, sculptures and ancient buildings. It is a unique and wonderful atmosphere. Like all cities it has its own smell, quite pungent at times and bells ringing across the sky all day and night.

Also my chance to seek out the library (San Barnaba Church)from Indiana Jones and the last crusade.